Site Features

Mohawk Council of Kahnawá:keTsi nahò:ten kahiatónnion a'arákonEnsaié:nawaseOnhkharéhson Aionkhihsnoé:nen
Tsi Ietsenhaientáhkhwa
Mohawk Council of Kahnawà:ke Mohawk Council of Kahnawà:ke
KTV on Facebook MCK on Twitter Mohawk Council of Kahnawà:ke
Mohawk Council of Kahnawà:ke

Notice re: New Indian Status Certificates


The Mohawk Council of Kahnawà:ke and the local INAC Lands and Estates office would like to inform all Kahnawa’kehró:non that new Secure Certificates of Indian Status (SCIS) are in the process of being implemented. The current Status Card used for benefits and tax exemption purposes will be phased out. They will remain valid until the expiry date indicated on each card.

There will be a special joint early registration center to be opened from the 2nd until the 27th of Enníska/February which will accept applicants on a priority basis and by appointment only.

Top priority will be given to people who use the border weekly for work purposes or to access Social Security benefits. Those not considered priority will be placed on a waiting list and will be scheduled according to availability. The cards from this early registration process will be issued in April.

Current Status Cards will be accepted for local use until they expire; these laminated cards will not be accepted at land border crossings after June of this year. The general release of the new SCIS is scheduled for April of this year. Those applying for a new SCIS will be required to provide an original birth certificate (photocopies will not be accepted) and two pieces of identification.(i.e. driver’s license, old age security card, government issued employee card, other government issued I.D., student I.D with digitized photo of applicant, and passport).

Children under the age of 16 will have access to land and sea borders by providing a birth certificate. They will not be required to hold the new SCIS. After the initial rush of applications, children under 16 will be able to access the new card. Parents will be required to make the application on behalf of their children and birth certificates and identification will be required for both parent and child.

If applicant’s previous Status Card has been damaged, lost or stolen, the applicant must complete a statutory declaration. If it has been stolen, the police claim number is also required.

Applications must be filled out in advance. Application forms are available at the Social Development Unit, Mohawk Council of Kahnawà:ke main building and the Lands & Estates (INAC) office (across from Kateri Memorial Hospital Center). To make an appointment, please call 450-638-0500.

*Please note that this Certificate is not to be confused with the Haudenosaunee Identification card. For more information, please contact the Nation Office at 450-632-7639.

Download PDF